Purchase your HE-500 Headphones @ http://amzn.to/1k41Bx8
Please Like, Favorite & Subscribe if you enjoy this video!
Come talk to me (do it…)
Come laugh at me (do it…)
http://instagram.com/barnacules (new Instagrams daily!)
Want a T-Shirt or Coffee cup?
If you have seen my ‘Nerd Cave’ tour video then you know that my displays are huge and I took it to the extreme so I decided one of my other neglected senses required attention; my ears! So I decided to start slowing entering the world of audiophile headphones. My very first set I just received is this pair of HiFiMAN HE-500 Planar Magnetic headphones that don’t use conventional speakers to produce audio which is very awesome. They are also my first open back pair of headphones and I realize why people love them. The sound stage (image) is breath taking, when you play a high resolution 196k 24bit flac music file the result is something incredibly realistic, sounds like you are there while they are playing and singing. Everything note is completely separated and you can pick it out.
The really odd side effect was that these are not just great for music, they are freaking amazing with Dolby 7.1 Virtual Surround enabled in games. I played BF4 beta and with these guys on coupled with my Xonar Essence STX I was able to tell where everyone was without any problems and the sound in the distance truly felt like it was far away and my room felt so much larger!
Obviously my video cannot do them justice but just read up on reviews and you will see how awesome they are. I highly recommend getting a pair if you come by a good deal. I picked these up on AudioGon in like new condition for $599 which was a great deal considering the condition and the extra silver cable they came with.
– Monoprice DJ over ear headphones ($20) (Cheap)
– Motorolla Bluetooth Headphones (Bluetooth)
– Audio FX Pro 5.1 (Ben Heck Edition) (USB, Surround)
– Audio transducer is fun for gaming (hurts sometimes)
– Triton 7.1 Headphones (Surround Experience)
– Good for XBOX
– Lots of backgroud noise from amp (hissing) integrated amp
– Sound position not nearly as good as you would expect
– Sennheiser HDR-180
– Fantastic wireless headphones
– Good battery life
– Sound quality lacking compared to wired headphones
– Beyer Dynamic MMX-300
– Comfortable and light weight (relatively)
– Loud without a lot of power (doesn’t need an amp, works with iPhone and iPad)
– Integrated microphone (good quality mic)
– Does not give you separation of sound like the HiFiMan
– Mid range and Bass not nearly as good as the HD-500
– HiFiMan HE-500
– Need more power for same volume
– Reproduce sound perfectly (mind blowing)
– Sound stage is amazing, can’t tell your listening to headphones half the time
– Works amazing in games also and makes FLAC really shine
– Bit on the heavy side
– Not the most comfortable headphones This show is an independent production of Jerry Berg (aka Barnacules). Opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of my employer, friends, or any companies mentioned in the show. Email business inquiries to Barnacules@barnnerd.com Help the channel by donating BitCoin to 1MfVZVMjfUUq8srg1d4RbgXR5e7JLw7R6P
▼ Support me by sending BitCoin (Wallet Address) ▼
▼ Get 10% off Kinesis Split Ergonomic Keyboards & Pedals ▼
[use code ‘Barnacules’ at checkout to get 10% off]
▼ Join my Folding@Home team and help cure diseases with spare CPU/GPU cycles ▼
Barnacules Nerdgasm Team # 231300
Download Client @ http://folding.stanford.edu/
** Top 10 contributers shown on Twitter weekly!
▼ I am now live streaming on Twitch so come give me a follow to receive notifications when I’m streaming ▼
💥 See my Amazon Store for all the products I use & review 💥